Undergraduate Academic Affairs
College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Non-Academic Withdrawals

Withdrawal Policies

Withdrawal Is Allowed

Students may request a withdrawal after the drop deadline for non-academic reasons. Requests are considered only under exceptional circumstances. Students will need to provide verifiable, third-party documentation with the request. Such documentation is required of all students submitting requests to ensure equity and fairness. 

Withdrawals are typically allowed only for full semesters at a time (i.e., students must withdraw from all courses).

Exceptional circumstances include - but are not limited to:

  1. Medical Circumstances - Requests for withdrawals due to medical circumstances must be supported by relevant, dated medical documentation. The documentation must show a substantial medical change that arose unexpectedly after the drop period has ended. If a student is seeking a partial withdrawal, the student must show why the condition has affected that course (or courses) specifically. Otherwise, only a full withdrawal from all courses in a semester can be considered.
  2. Employment - Requests for withdrawals due to work-related reasons must be documented by the employer on company letterhead. Only unanticipated and unavoidable changes in employment that occur after the drop date and which result in a direct scheduling conflict with a course (or courses) will be considered. An increased or more stressful workload is not considered a valid reason to request a withdrawal (see the University Catalog under "Academic Load"). NOTE: No course may be dropped for work reasons after 12 weeks or 4/5 of the term have passed.

Withdrawal is Not Allowed

  • To avoid an unsatisfactory grade due to academic reasons.
  • To correct enrollment errors on the part of the student (For more information, review "Changing Registration" in the University Catalog). Students are responsible for all courses in which they remain officially enrolled after the drop period has ended.
  • When the withdrawal is retroactive: Once an academic term is completed, the course grade becomes part of the student's permanent academic record. Requests for withdrawals after this time, considered retroactive withdrawals are typically not approved.
  • When the student has graduated: Withdrawals are not allowed for courses that have been applied to a completed degree. Once the degree has been conferred and the student has graduated, the transcript is sealed and not subject to alteration.

Instructors do not have the authority to withdraw students from classes.


Requesting a Non-Academic Withdrawal

  1. Review all policies pertaining to non-academic withdrawals.
  2. Fill out a Withdrawal Request Form explaining the specific request and reasons. Only written materials and verifiable, third-party documentation can be used by the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Office to reach a decision.
  3. Submit your completed request and supporting documentation to the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Office.
  4. Submit your request in a timely manner. Timing is very important when submitting a request to withdraw. Delays in submitting requests increase the academic component of the request and can have an adverse effect on the final decision.
  5. Provide requested documentation in a timely manner. After 30 days, all undocumented requests are automatically denied.
  6. Continue attending all classes in which you are officially enrolled and complete the required coursework unless you receive written approval from our office for a withdrawal. If permission is granted, you will need to confirm that there are no holds on your record for the withdrawal to be processed.

If you are granted a withdrawal, it will result in a "W" on your permanent record. These non-academic withdrawals do not count towards your allowed selective withdrawals.


Withdrawal Resources

Print Friendly and PDF