Undergraduate Academic Affairs
College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Transfer Students

Transfer students should make it a priority to become familiar with the policies and academic planning tools of George Mason University, as they may be quite different from those of your previous institution(s).  Please review the following areas:

Academic Standards
Academic Advising
Degree Evaluation
Transfer Equivalency Worksheet
Repeat Policy
Immunization Records

Academic Standards

The university's minimum standard for satisfactory academic achievement is 2.00 on a 4.00 scale. Students with at least 7 attempted credits and a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 fall into one of three categories: warning, probation, and suspension. All notations of academic standing are included in a student's permanent record. The cumulative GPA range that defines each of the categories varies according to the credit level, as noted below:

Credit Level Warning Probation Suspension
Attempted Cumulative Cumulative Cumulative
Credit Hours GPA Range GPA Range GPA Range
7-16 0.00-1.99 - -
17-29 1.75-1.99 1.00-1.74 0.00-0.99
30-59 1.85-1.99 1.25-1.84 0.00-1.24
60-89 1.95-1.99 1.55-1.94 0.00-1.54
90+ - 1.85-1.99 0.00-1.84

Transfer students in their first semester of study at Mason will receive probation as the strongest academic sanction. GPA retention levels, as stated above, will apply in all subsequent semesters. Students in this category should be on notice that they must make up ground in order to avoid suspension in future semesters; in particular they should consult their advisors and consider repeating courses in order to achieve academic good standing.

Academic Advising

Your advisor is the most important resource you have to ensure timely graduation.  Although it is ultimately up to the student to ensure they stay on track, advisors are extremely helpful in explaining program requirements and university and college policies and procedures.

Transfer students should meet with their advisor during their first semester here at Mason to confirm how courses transferred in and what is left to complete for your degree plan.  At this first meeting, you can also discuss differences between your previous institution and Mason and inquire about research, internship and study abroad opportunities.

Your Degree Evaluation

One of the most important tools that students have to make sure they stay on track here at Mason (other than their advisor) is the degree evaluation.  This tool is an audit that evaluates all transferred and resident credits towards one's declared degree program.  Students should use this to determine what classes to take from semester to semester and to help them identify what they have left to graduate.

Students can learn how to run a degree evaluation through PatriotWeb from their advisor or on their own. A detailed explanation on how to run a degree audit can be found on the Registrar's website or at the bottom of this page under "Transfer Student Resources" and "Degree Evaluation Directions."

Transfer Equivalency Worksheet

Early on in your time here at Mason, you should carefully review your Transfer Equivalency Worksheet.  The worksheet will show you which of your transfer courses have been accepted for Mason credit and you will be able to determine what courses came in as equivalent Mason courses or as general or major electives.  The Transfer Equivalency Worksheet can be found in Patriot Web under “Student Records”, then “Transcript.”  Choose the “Display Transfer Evaluation” button to view the record.

You should look at the Transfer Equivalency Worksheet to identify:

  • If there is anything that is missing (AP, IB credit, courses from all schools listed)
  • If there is anything that transferred as an elective that you would like re-evaluated to be considered for an equivalent course.
  • To understand how your credits transferred in.
Please refer to the "Evaluation of Transfer Credit" admissions webpage for more information about how courses transfer, how to have a course re-evaluated and more.


Repeat Policy

Transfer students should be aware of Mason's repeat policy.

Some courses are annotated in the catalog as "repeatable for credit." These are courses in which students receive additional credit for more than one taking of the same course, up to a maximum number of credits specified in the catalog. Special topics and independent study courses are examples. For all other courses, the following conditions apply:

  • Some courses, such as special topics courses, are repeatable for a limited number of additional credits. As long as students do not exceed the maximum allowable credits for repeatable courses, all takings of the course count for credit and in the student's GPA. In cases where the student has exceeded allowable credits in a repeatable class, the transcript will exclude the grade and credits of the earliest taking of the class.
  • For undergraduate classes not repeatable for credit, undergraduate degree students may repeat courses for which they seek a higher grade. Academic programs may restrict repeats of certain departmental or college courses in the major. Excessive repeats may result in termination from the major by a student's dean. A grade received in a repeated course will replace a grade in prior takings of the same course in the calculation of the cumulative GPA, even if the more recent grade is lower. Duplicate credit is not given. Repeat rules apply to taking the same course and courses designated in the catalog as equivalent. Repeat rules apply throughout a student's academic history. All instances of courses and their grades remain part of the student's transcript. No adjustment to the cumulative GPA will be made when the grade in the repeated course is W. A grade in a Mason course will not be excluded from the cumulative GPA based on a subsequent taking of an equivalent course at a transfer institution. The exclusion of earlier grades of repeated courses will not change the academic standing or dean's list notations for the earlier semester. Note that individual programs may disallow students from retaking certain high-demand courses simply for the purpose of improving their grade. Programs may also require departmental permission for students to repeat certain department, school, or college courses.

Transfer students should keep this in mind with courses that have transferred from another university. If the equivalent course is taken at Mason it will exclude the transfer course, so students should make sure they know exactly how their credit has been transferred.


Immunization Records

  • Virginia law requires that all graduate and undergraduate students submit immunization documentation. Information about this requirement is available at http://shs.gmu.edu/immunizations/.
  • A hold will be placed on the student’s account and a late fee assessed if they do not submit their complete immunization records by the posted deadline (Oct. 1 for fall admits, March 1 for spring admits).
  • It is the student's responsibility to insure their record is free of holds.
Print Friendly and PDF