A large number of Mason's Humanities and Social Sciences students participate in Study Abroad. Written permission from a student's academic Dean must be obtained in order to allow study abroad credits to count towards a Mason degree. Students should plan well in advance to coordinate a study abroad trip, and to obtain the required written permission from the Dean. To explore study abroad options, visit the Global Education Office page: Mason Global Education
Preparing to Study Abroad
- Contact the Global Education Office to get information regarding the study abroad program, and obtain the appropriate paperwork.
- Fill out the entire Petition for Transfer of Credit for GMU Study Abroad.
- Obtain course equivalencies and signatures from the appropriate academic department for all courses requested.
- Obtain the signatures of your advisor, and department chair.
- Obtain the signature of your GEO program officer.
- Submit the request to the Undergraduate Academic Affairs office for Dean's permission.
Study Abroad Policies
- Students must meet any GPA requirements specified by the Global Education Office. Global Education will verify that students meet program requirements, however, students with a cumulative Mason GPA below 2.5 at the time a request is received will not qualify for Dean's permission. Two exceptions to this policy are: Freshman participating in the Global Gateway program, or students requesting permission for a program with a lower cumulative GPA requirement (e.g. a summer study abroad program with a 2.25 minimum cumulative GPA requirement).
- Students must complete all paperwork before stated deadlines, including obtaining all required signatures and course equivalencies.
Students who do not receive advance, written approval from their dean are likely to lose time, money, and credits, if/when permission is not granted.
Students in danger of probation, suspension, or dismissal should exercise caution if requesting to study abroad. It is a student's responsibility to ensure that they are in good academic standing, and that they meet all program and Global Ed office requirements.
Students requesting permission to take part in the Oxford Honors Program should submit their requests to our office at least one week prior to the deadline officially listed on the form supplied by the Global Education Office.
Resources for Submitting a Request