Course Elsewhere

Due to the current circumstances (all courses moving online) course elsewhere approval has changed. All course elsewhere requests will be reviewed. However, we discourage requests for permission to study elsewhere for classes that will be offered through Mason. Students making such requests should explicitly articulate their reasons for requesting permission to study elsewhere.

Students who wish to take a course at a different institution must get pre-approval from their major college and the college that offers the equivalent of the course requested. Generally, students who have transferred over 60 hours to Mason are ineligible for additional credit elsewhere. Students with less than 60 transfer hours can take up to 8 hours of CHSS credit elsewhere. Please see below for specific policies and the process for requesting a course elsewhere.

Requesting to Take a Course Elsewhere

  1. Review all policies below pertaining to course elsewhere requests.
  2. Fill out the form, including the course equivalency. Courses that have already been approved for equivalency can be found by using the transfer credit search engine on the Admissions website. If the course does not appear on the transfer credit search engine, then the course must be reviewed by the department that offers the equivalent course at Mason.
  3. Obtain signature from your academic advisor.
  4. Submit request to your major dean, along with any required documentation. 
  5. Wait to obtain approval from all required deans before signing up for the course.

Course Elsewhere Policies

Once enrolled in degree-seeking status at Mason, students with fewer than 60 hours of transfer coursework (not including registration through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area or coursework completed through the Center for Global Education) may take up to 8 hours of coursework in CHSS disciplines at another institution. Students with 60 or more hours of transfer coursework are not permitted to take additional coursework at another institution through a course elsewhere request. A student may seek permission for additional hours beyond these limits for summer registration if his/her permanent residence is more than 50 miles from the George Mason University Fairfax campus.

In order to have an exception considered, students must have completed the immediately preceding semester with a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher and not be in danger of academic suspension or dismissal. Freshmen and new transfer students are not allowed to take courses elsewhere as they have yet to establish an academic record at George Mason. Please keep in mind that the CHSS requirement for the immediately preceding semester is an additional requirement that may be different from other colleges or schools at Mason.

Courses elsewhere that have been pre-approved by our office must be taken for a grade and be passed with a GPA of 2.00 (on a 4.00 scale) or higher in order to be transferred to George Mason. Although credit for the course will be transferred, the grade for the course will not.

Students must make arrangements with the visited institution to have an official transcript mailed directly to the George Mason University Registrar's Office, Records Section, MSN 3D1, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030 immediately after the course work is completed. Credit will not be transferred until an official transcript is received. Non-receipt of official transcripts within six weeks of conferral date will delay a student's pending graduation.

Students should keep in mind that courses requested outside of his or her college or school will need additional approval from the college or school that offers the equivalent course at Mason. Each school or college may have different policies regarding course elsewhere requests, so major dean permission does not guarantee approval for a student to take a particular course equivalent to one offered by a different college or school.

Students should follow the links below and review all policies regarding taking a course elsewhere before submitting a request.

CHSS section of catalog

General section of catalog


Students have the right to appeal denial of a request. Information on submitting an appeal can be found at the bottom of the page