Students who wish to request to take a course at an institution within the consortium must have permission from the dean of their college and the Office of the Registrar. A student must be a junior or senior to request a course through the consortium, unless the request is for a required ROTC course at another institution. See below for additional policies and the process for requesting a course through the consortium.
Requesting Enrollment in a Consortium Course
- Contact the consortium services office to inquire about eligibility and to obtain consortium registration form.
- Obtain signatures from the chair of your major department and your advisor.
- Fill out a consortium request form.
- Submit both the consortium request form, and the consortium registration form to the Undergraduate Academic Affairs office at least three weeks prior to the first day of classes.
- Wait to receive confirmation that the request has been approved.
Below are the policies regarding taking a course at a consortium institution
- Participation in consortium cross registration is available to degree-seeking juniors and seniors in good standing currently enrolled at Mason.
- Participation is limited to courses that are approved by the student's department chair and dean, apply to the student's program of study, are not offered during that semester at Mason, and have space available at the visited institution. Additional restrictions apply.
- Students may take only one course per semester, with a career maximum of 6 credits for undergraduates (9-12 if foreign language is approved).
- Credits earned through the consortium are considered resident credit, so grades count in the Mason GPA.
Important: All Consortium requests must be submitted by the student to our office at least 3 weeks prior to the first day of classes (as listed on the Registrar's website)
Resources for Submitting a Request