Course Repeat Exception Request
Catalog Policy AP.1.3.4 Repeating a Course
Undergraduate students (degree-seeking or non-degree) may repeat undergraduate courses that are not repeatable for credit. There is a limit of three graded attempts for all courses. Academic programs may have more restrictive limits. A W does not count as a graded attempt. This policy applies only to repeating the same course, or courses that are designated in the catalog as equivalent.
Appeals to this policy begin with the student’s academic advisor.
Requesting an Exception to Course Repeat Policy
- Review all policies within the University Catalog pertaining to repeating a course.
- Meet with your major academic advisor to discuss the situation and complete a draft Student Success Plan contract. This form can also be found on the Forms page of the Registrar's website.
- The Plan draft should include information about circumstances affecting previous performance in the class and, importantly, a specific plan for addressing previous issues and strategies for successfully completing the course.
- Seek permission to repeat the course by submitting the Student Success Plan to the department that offers the course.
- Please note: Some units are more restrictive in approving repeats. The department offering the course has the final authority in these cases.
- For ENGH 101 and ENGH 302 requests, contact Dr. Courtney Wooten, Director of Composition, via email (email@example.com) to make an appointment.
- Once the department offering the course has signed the Student Success Plan (approved or denied), meet again with your major academic advisor.
- Your major advisor will submit the recommendation (approve or deny) via the Undergraduate Permission for Exception to AP.1.3.4 form, along with a copy of the Student Success Plan contract to the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Office for review.
- If the course repeat is approved, forms will be submitted from Undergraduate Academic Affairs to the Registrar's Office for processing. Students should check Patriot Web to track their registration.
Course Repeat Exception Resources
Resources for Submitting a Request